Monday 21 September 2009

Having completed the basic structure, it was then a process of adding more layers of insulation and building up the chimney with more cans of tomatoes. I used clay,sand and horseshit. I thought this would be a good plan from doing a little bit of research where I found that on old houses and in different parts of the world this was considered a good and cheap way of using natural materials. Although it was somewhat smelly, I was able to mix it to a beautiful smooth consistency which could be trowelled on. The chimney I just built up and packed the mixture aroud it. Unfortunately I don' t have any pictures of the chimney construction but it was really quite simple as long as the mixture wasn't too wet. So, thats about that for the initial completion of the oven which was finished in AUG 2008 and has been successfully used ever since. We had a really good party for its official opening (lots of interest from everybody) and cooked about 40 pizzas which turned out very successfully even though it poured with rain all night. It wasn't used extensively throughout the winter and I was concerned that the cold and damp would affect it, even though it was covered with a tarpaulin. However it survived ok, we even had a hangover party on new years day which was a great success.
Having got this far I decided to put a roof over it - will cover that next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment